The building that was moved to the Village historique acadien was one of the sheds of the Robin, Jones and Whitman Company in Caraquet, and was known as the Rigging Loft by the regulars. The attic storey of the shed was used to store the fishing gears during winter months. The lower floor, at ground level, was used for salting and packing codfish. Taking into account the fact that Charles Robin Company was in full expansion between 1838 and 1875, we propose the year 1845 for the construction of the shed.
In 1767, Charles Robin is present in the Chaleur Bay area and launches his business with the local people, including those residing in northern New Brunswick. The system in use involves never paying cash to the fishermen but offering, in exchange for the fish, merchandise stocked in the company stores. In 1793, the Charles Robin Company purchased a piece of land in the Caraquet harbor and the Robin establishment will be erected there.
The building located at the Village Historique Acadien is equipped according to its subsequent occupations. On the first floor, about ten four-hundred weight barrels (boucauts or toubes) have been placed. A fish press, a set of scales, a counter displaying several objects related to fishing, among others, dried eel skins to make shoelaces, wooden buoys, a cod jigger and its mold, tow for draught proofing boats, monkey’s fist knots, a square dipping-net, a shellfish gauge, etc. On the upper floor, two ancient boats are on display as well as more barrels. Anchors and tools used for fetching ice can also be seen.
Outside, drying racks for cods are laid out around the shed, on which the fish was spread to dry. Also on the site is a steam box, used in boat building, an aboiteau or sluice box and a small wharf.
- Size: 25 X 40 feet
- Framework of large spruce beams joined by tenons and mortices
- Clapboard siding
- Sturdy wooden doors on both floors and several openings