The history of the Mazerolle house begins with the builder’s father, Joseph Mazerolle. Joseph was born in 1739 in Grand-Pré, was deported to Boston where he got married to Rosalie Thibodeau in 1764, moved to Quebec City and finally settled down by the Saint John River around 1776-77. Several of his children were born during this period. His wife Rosalie Thibodeau died in June 1815, Joseph passed away in June 1818. His son Louis-Joseph (or Joseph-Louis), born in Quebec City in 1767, was probably the one who built the house found on the grounds of the Village historique acadien. We know that Louis-Joseph had been living for a long time on the Saint John River, since 1797, in a petition, he mentioned he lived in the area for 20 years.
In 1831, he obtains a land in the area of Mazerolle Settlement, which he sells in 1839 to his son Pierre. We believe that Pierre, upon the final sale of his father’s land, moved the house to this land granted by the government in 1842. Having received his land in 1842, Pierre Mazerolle, as well as his family and offspring, took root for good at Mazerolle Settlement, near Fredericton.
In 1851, we notice that Pierre lives with his second wife Marie-Anne and the seven children from his two marriages. In addition, his father Joseph, his mother Françoise and his sister Marie live with him. Quite probably, when his father sells him the house, they all lived in the same house in Mazerolle Settlement.
Louis, Pierre's son from his first wedding, inherited the house and abandoned it in 1895, intending to build a new home. Louis had only two children, including John-Lewis. John- Lewis is the father of Bernard-Franklin, the one who ceded the Mazerolle house to the Village historique acadien. John-Lewis’s children were the last to be borned in this house. At the opening of the Village historique acadien in 1977, Bernard was present for the first visit of the donating families.
Built on a base of field stones, the walls are of square-hewn logs, resting on a pine footing (10" x 10") with dovetail joining at the corners. On a level with the lower footing, six floor joists (with fairly regular spacing) giving the house a perimeter of 26’4” by 20’2”.
The Mazerolle farm house at the Village historique acadien, as well as a pigsty, a barn and furniture built by the former owners, were purchased in 1973. A crew from the Village undertook the moving process the very year of its purchase. However, the law stated that no load over 14 feet wide was allowed to travel on the roads. Thus, the movers had to wait some time before transporting the building to the historical site.
In short, the Mazerolle farm includes a house, a barn, a grain shed and a pigsty.
Distinctive features of the house:
- Square-hewn logs construction with dovetail assembly
- Built piece- by-piece with dovetailed corners
- Sash windows
- Large stone fireplace
- Two-sided steep-slope roof
Thomas Thériault barn
This barn was the property of Thomas Thériault. The Village historique acadien purchased this barn in October 1974. It was located in Bertrand, close to the owner’s house. This barn is nevertheless part of the Mazerolle farm unit and is interpreted as 1842.
- High gable with steep slope
- Large double door in the front
- Outside walls covered with vertical boards
- Open frame of square-hewn beams
John Frenette grain shed
- Wide entrance door
- Hand-made shingles siding
- Indoor stairs to the loft
- Unhewn-log construction
- Sharp-notch log assembly