Pierrot Robichaud, second child of Jean Robichaud, was born in Memramcook in 1799. Shortly after his birth, his parents moved to Inkerman. Pierrot married Rosalie Arsenault in 1824 and the couple had twelve children.
After he got married, or possibly before, Pierrot built a house to shelter his future family. However, after several years and his family growing, he built a new home circa 1845, the one found at the Village Historique Acadien.
Pierrot was a very active man with a keen business sense. First a farmer, in 1829 he owned two oxen, grew hay, potatoes, wheat, barley and oats. He also owned a horse, as he carried goods for his neighbors to Shippagan, a village located six miles from his home.
We know that as early as 1882 Pierrot started an account book in his own name. in addition to being a farmer, Pierrot was a carpenter and a supplier of materials, the most common being wood. Thus, Pierrot carried business with the William Fruing company’s store in Pointe-Alexandre, on Lamèque Island and he is an average customer, with purchases of £4 per year.
When Pierrot passed away, circa 1874, the family heirloom is bequeathed to his youngest son Jules, born in 1841 and married to Esther Boudreau. Jules and Esther had ten children. In 1906, Jules decided to build a new home and it is from this time that the Robichaud left the house built by Pierrot. Jules, after his death, bequeathed all his properties to his sons Jules and Michel.
After Jules junior died, having remained a bachelor, the property passes on to his brother Michel, married to Clara LeBlanc. In 1975, year of the initial research for the Robichaud farm, the house built in 1906 is occupied by Clara Robichaud, wife of the late Michel Robichaud and her son Jules. As for the Robichaud house, it had been used for several years as an annex to the barn.
Pierrot Robichaud’s old house was purchased by the VHA from Jules M. Robichaud in 1974. It was located in Inkerman, at the center of the Acadian Peninsula. It was moved on the site of the VHA in September of the same year. It was said at the time that the house was at least 150 years old.
The Robichaud farm includes a house, a spacious barn, a grain shed and a root cellar.
Distinctive features of the house:
- Square-hewn log construction with grooved corner post
- Outdoor siding covered with home-made shingles
- Moderately-sloped two-sided roof
- Nailed door with raised oblique lines
Étienne Légère barn
- Rough square-hewn log construction with sharp-notch assembly
- Two large central doors
- Gables covered with vertical boards
Jules Robichaud grain shed
- Open frame construction
- Outside stairway leading to the loft
- Outdoor siding covered with vertical boards
Root cellar (reproduction)
- Access door covered with vertical boards
- Cedar log construction
- Sod-covered two sided roof